Monday, September 14, 2015

Does It Look Like I'm Paying Attention?

I love buying used CDs. Love it. So I think I'll keep semi-updating this site when I buy a new haul. I've pulled in a decent collection the last couple times I've gone out looking for something. Let's see what I got?


Enya - Enya
I already own this album as The Celts on cassette, but I needed it for my car. Plus, look at that artwork. Put it on a shirt for me ASAP. This is Enya at her most Gaelic. Some really good Irish folkish new age stuff on here. "Boadicea" is a personal favourite.

Enya - Watermark
I might already own this CD somewhere, but I couldn't remember and it was $5 so whatever. Most famous for having "Orinoco Flow" on it. This is All Music's selection for Enya's best album. That's wrong. The right answer is A Day Without Rain.

Enya - Amarantine
Confession: I had to order this on Amazon. I'm sorry. Nobody had a copy of it. It's Enya's last great album. (And Winter Came is kinda bad.) It's really good. It was like $3 and I was already ordering shoes. I'm such a monster. But this album will sooth my monster tendencies.

Various Artists - Sanctuary: 20 Years of Windham Hill
Disc 1, titled "Acoustic," is vastly superior to its compatriot "Electric." Is there anything more suitable a car ride through the city than corporate hippies blastin' pan flutes over a synthesizer and some light wind-chiming? Some top-notch cheese on this album.

George Winston - Forest
One of Winston's most famous solo piano albums. Did you know that Tamarack pine needles turn yellow before dropping from the tree in Fall? Now ya do. Thanks, George! This is good/very good new age piano diddlin'.

George Winston - All the Seasons of
Really, this collection should be called Some of the Songs from the Seasons Albums and Other Albums Not Related to the Seasons, but I guess Big New Age didn't think that would sell. This is a solid representation of Winston's output in the 70s, 80s, 90s. I'd really like to find Autumn soon.

Emeralds - Does it Look Like I'm Here?
Everyone's (Geoff's) favourite Emeralds album. I gave up on other Emeralds albums after Just to Feel Anything disappointed me. Maybe I'll go back and give that one a shot. This album is great. The title track is rowdy. Solar Bridge is still the best Emeralds album, though. Facts.

Depeche Mode - 101
You know how hard it is to find a used copy of 101 with both fucking discs? It's hard enough that I just finally did last week. Fucking finally

Morrissey - Maladjusted
I had never even heard of this album till I watched Sean trade in a bunch of shit at Arrow's Aim for the LP version that was marked at like $50. Like a year later, Sean sold all of his Morrissey and Smiths vinyl because he knew he'd never finish the collection. I think Sean and I have different music collection principles. I fucking love the album art, by the way.

Morrissey - Kill Uncle
I actually couldn't remember which pre-You Are the Quarry Morrissey albums I own on CD when I was at the CD store, but I was sure I didn't own Kill Uncle. I was right. I know I don't own one of the big three (maybe two of the big three???), but I can never remember when I'm at a record store. It's a bummer because all of those albums are always cheap in the used bin. Next time, I might just say, "Who cares - viva Moz!" and give the duplicates to Steven or something.


No comments:

Post a Comment