Thursday, December 24, 2015

33 Words on 33 Albums from 2015 (Part 3)

OH MY GOD IT’S THE FINAL ELEVEN RECORDS CAN YOU HANDLE IT DO YOU EVEN CARE WHAT IS ALL OF THIS FOR ANYWAYS LIFE IS MEANINGLESS THE UNIVERSE DOES NOT KNOW YOU EXIST.

Pusha T – Darkest Before Dawn: The Prelude (Unpurchased)

Instead of a review, I’d rather just quote King Push lines from this record, but we don’t have that kind of time. Pusha is the best rapper living and maybe of all time.



The Pinecones Arbor Labor Union – Sings for You Now (Black vinyl)

This was the best album of 2014, and now it’s the best album of 2015! My particular brand of snobbishness and windbaggery knows no bounds with this band, so let’s leave it alone.


  

Bitter End – Illusions of Dominance (White cassette)

Surprise record of the year? This might be as good as Climate of Fear. I’ve found it almost impossible to put this record aside for more than a week or two. It’s… great.



Turnover – Peripheral Vision (Clear green cassette)

I know I said I wouldn’t review an album already discussed on the blog, but I got it wrong the first time. This is quite possibly my favourite record of 2015. My emotions!



Grimoire – L’aorasie des spectres reveurs (Clear black cassette)

This is one of those records I ordered on a whim from a record label and it turned out to be an absolute delight. Black metal done to near perfection. Cold and beautiful.



Lustre – Blossom (Clear vinyl)

And this is the reason I happened to pick up that Grimoire tape! This is new age black metal; the soundtrack to a massage in the Scandinavian woods, a spa-day in corpse paint.



Crimewave – Collection II (Black cassette)

Really, I should be talking about all of the material Andy Gibbs released this year, but let’s stick with the only properly released one. A perfect blend of electronic noise, ambient, and drone.



The World is a Beautiful Place and I Am No Longer Afraid to Die – Harmlessness (Vinyl unreleased)

Is it cheating if the vinyl doesn’t get released till January? Who cares! TWIABP have matured as songwriters so much since Whatever, If Ever, making this record absolutely wonderful. Emo will never die.



Ceremony – The L-Shaped Man (Sea foam green vinyl)

Leaving behind the suburban doldrums of the previous two records, the constantly evolving Ceremony embraces the new wave/post-punk ennui of the 80s as the band now confronts the emotional depths of nascent adulthood.



Godspeed You! Black Emperor – Asunder, Sweet and Other Distress (Black vinyl)

An album I had all but forgotten. Asunder is GY!BE at their noisiest and most dissonant. This is a massive and intense record that sounds absolutely unique when measured against contemporary post-rock records.  



Cloud Rat – Qliphoth (White cassette)

This is as dynamic a grindcore record as any I’ve ever heard. It almost sounds like it’s a leftover relic from the heydays of Magic Bullet and Robotic Empire. The new Pg. 99?





I know I broke the rules for Turnover and not for Keeper or K Dot or Deafheaven or Camera Shy, but that was to prove a point. Also, cassettes are totally back, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment