Friday, October 23, 2015

Short Review of a Spotify Discover Playlist

I finally played one of Spotify's new Discover Weekly playlists. It's tailored to my interests. It's all about me. It even superimposes the text onto a photo of me. Let's see how Spotify did!

1. Eno & Hyde - "Cells & Bells"
Not a bad start. Not a great start. Vocals ruin the song. Admission: I rarely care about non-ambient Eno music, excluding Roxy Music, of course.

2. Youth Lagoon - The Knower
Absolutely fucking not. I get why this band is popular, but it sucks.

3. Dean Blunt - Molly & Aquafina
Whoa! This is the worst shit I've ever heard. Thanks, Spotify!

4. 2 Chainz - El Chapo Jr
Prediction: Spotify will do a good job with rap songs on these. This is a good reminder to add the latest 2 Chainz album to my Spotify.

5. My Bloody Valentine - To Here Knows When
A fine selection. I don't know if it's "deep cut" to pick a song from Loveless, but it's certainly a fine song.

6. The Clientele - Reflections After Jane
Sorry, Dean. Gonna have to snatch that superlative away from ya already. Get your shit together, Spotify.

7. Prefab Sprout - Goodbye Lucille #1
The song title sure seems like an Arrested Development reference, but this is from 1985. Pretty catchy brit-pop/brit-rock. I could see myself listening to a whole album or two from this band. Good job, Spotify!

8. Rush - Jacob's Ladder
Never gonna say no to Rush.

9. Lush - Untogether
One of those shoegaze bands from the 90s who got lost when the 90s ended. What a pretty song.

10. Jeezy - Thug Motivation 101
Need I say more? JEEZY.

11. Future - I Serve the Base
It's funny how divisive Future has become in hip hop. He's really become the scapegoat for oldheads complaining about how hip hop has changed. This song, like most Future songs, should be on any house party dance mix.

12. Twerps - I Don't Mind
I listened to this entire song! Pitchfork says it's the best song on this album. If that's true, that's bad. If it's not true, I wouldn't be surprised because, well, ya know, Pitchfork. I don't know. This song apparently wasn't offensive enough to make me skip it, but I've already forgotten what it sounded like.

13. Wire - Reuters
Picking a song from Pink Flag for Wire is kinda like picking something from Loveless for MBV. No one's mad about it (at all at all at all), but Wire's got a bunch of albums that I could stand to dive into way more. Still, this is a great song.

14. Amen Dunes - Song to the Siren
I don't know, man. A lot of people like Amen Dunes. I'm not sure I'm one of those people. Through Donkey Jaw, though one of the better album titles I've ever seen, never appealed to me much. This is from the new EP, I guess. McMahon warbles too much. He's just so warbly. He also sounds exactly like someone else, but I can't remember who it is. I'm still waiting for something to really make me like this band.

15. Morrissey - Bengali in Platforms
Cool choice from Viva Hate. Spotify is confident about two things: I like trap music, and I like British bands from the 80s and 90s

16. Nine Inch Nails - Ruiner
I used to love NIN so much. Like, so much. I bought bootlegs off eBay. I wanted to be a multi-instrumentalist like Trent Reznor. I obsessed over these records. This was always a favourite from Downward Spiral. The way Reznor buries his vocals in the chorus while the music reaches this really bleak fever pitch? Man. It's great.

17. Real Estate - Green Aisles
I've never listened to this band for a few reasons. Their name is pretty close to Sunny Day Real Estate, so, it's like, why not just listen to Sunny Day Real Estate, one of the best bands of all time. Also, lots of people I'm friends with/associate with via Facebook like this band, and I have zero faith in their taste in music. I'm sorry about that. It's just... you like Youth Lagoon and I bet you like Dean Blunt. That's just how it is. This song, though? Not bad. I'm prolly not gonna listen to anymore songs from them, but I wouldn't avoid them in the future.

18. The KVB - All Around You
Languid, depressive, minor-keyed synth rock, you say? Don't mind if I do. If Matthew isn't already listening to this, he's in for a treat. Are all of their songs this dancy and gothy? I'mma find out. I love it.

19. Grateful Dead - Terrapin Station
I guess listening to Joni Mitchell and Neil Young a bunch is what got this on my Discover Weekly? It's funny listening to a song that I know for so many of my friends in college has to be the blueprint for everything they love. This song is the standard bearer, right?

20. Tears for Fears - Suffer the Children
Never gonna turn down a Tears for Fears song.

21. Tiesto - The Feeling
Haha, not a chance. What the fuck is with the vocals on this song? Next.

22. A Tribe Called Quest - 8 Million Stories
Yes, absolutely. You know who loves Tribe Called Quest? White dudes in college. Well, I mean, I everyone loves them, but they've got the white college dude demographic locked up easy. "Award Tour" was on so many mixes that my friends made in college. Like, it was just that kinda song. And for good reason!

23. This Mortal Coil - Barramundi
It'll End in Tears is such a great album title. This is one of the few tracks from that album that isn't actually a cover song. It's, as far as I can tell, an original from the one-time bassist of Cocteau Twins. It's really, really great. Like, gothic ambient or something. (It even has sound the of waves at the end!) If Simon Raymonde made more music like this, I'd be real interested in a thing like that.

24. Disasterpiece - Detroit
This is from the It Follows soundtrack, a movie that a dozen people actually reached out to me to recommend. Spoiler alert: I never saw it. This song is a good, eerie soundtrack song. "Disasterpiece" is easily one of the worst names for a band (is this even a band?) I've ever heard, though. When I search for that name on All Music, it just shows me it's a Slipknot song, so there's that.

25. Spiritualized - Feel So Sad (Glides and Chimes)
This immediately became my favourite Spiritualized song. It's beautiful. This little synthy scale rising and falling in the background? That simple little riff played over it? Man, I could listen to this song a bunch of times in a row and never even mind. Like, a mixtape of just this song would be perfect for reading and studying.

26. The Egyptian Lover - I Cry (Night After Night)
I would like you to look at this album cover:
Apparently this album, and this dude, are super influential and important, but I've never heard of either. It's electro-funk proto-rap, and goddamn is it great. Spotify bringin' the heat.

27. Pet Shop Boys - "Two Divided by Zero"
I told you Spotify knows I love music from British music from the 80s and 90s.

28. Big Grams - Run For Your Life
I have no idea what to think about this. It's that new Big Boi project that mixes electro-indie and hip hop. I don't know. I feel like it kinda sucks? But maybe it doesn't? Should I listen to the whole EP? I don't know I don't know I don't know.

29. Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers - Someone I Care About
Important proto-punk stuff. Your favourite record store owner's favourite band.

30. Animal Collective - Loch Raven
I don't think I have it in me to all of a sudden start caring about Animal Collective. I listened to Merriweather Post Pavilion in its entirety the other night with a couple friends who love Animal Collective. I didn't give a single shit about anything I heard on that record, and it's their most critically acclaimed. Reading about the album Feels makes me think this song is more of an interlude type thing. Anyways, it's not bad. I'm still not into Animal Collective.


Honestly, I gotta give this an A-/B+, right? This is absolutely something I am going to start doing on a weekly basis (if I have the time for it). 

No comments:

Post a Comment