Monday, October 26, 2015

Spotify Discover Playlist 2: The Playlistening

I don't care that I just did one. That was last week. We are a forward looking people.

1. The Besnard Lakes - Albatross
That's right! The Polaris-nominated Besnard Lakes. They've been nominated twice, even! You know who has more Polaris victories than The Besnard Lakes? Fucked Up. (In looking through the Polaris nominees/winners, should I be surprised at how many Canadian musical acts I recognize?) This song is fine, but I don't care about it. It's a good song. I'm just not interested.

2. The Sundays - Can't Be Sure
Uh oh. Woman-fronted Britpop? A big voice over jangly, subdued pop music? An absolute delight.

3. Riff Raff - Judo Chop Freestyle
Is trying to be a legitimate rapper a thing Riff Raff does now? What an exhausting thought.

4. Lotus Plaza - Red Oak Way
This is apparently the Deerhunter dude's other band. I think I know what Deerhunter sounds like, but I'm not sure. Spotify seems to be pretty convinced that I solely listen to dream-pop. This is boring.

5. Amen Dunes - Splits are Parted
Not that I wanted to thumbs-down Amen Dunes necessarily, but I think these Spotify Discover things should have a simple yes/no rating system. Wouldn't that make sense? Anyways, I figured out who McMahon sounds like. The dude from Majical Cloudz is/was just doing an Amen Dunes impression. Is Majical Cloudz still a band? I like this Amen Dunes song more than the other one last week. Warble warble warble. I bet people in relationships listen to Amen Dunes together.

6.  Pure X - Wishin' on the Same Star
I cannot stand these vocals at all whatsoever and have to change this very quickly.

7. Faith No More - Sunny Side Up
I have tried for years to like Faith No More. I like plenty of Mike Patton's other projects. I just think that Faith No More might kinda suck. This is like well-written butt rock. Like, classy butt rock. It still sucks, but it sucks without being entirely offensive.

8. Chief Keef ft. Andy Milonakis - Hot Shit
The conversations that must've taken place to make this happen were probably incredible. Fun fact: more than a couple of the really good battles from Grizzlemania 2 are on Milonakis' YouTube channel. 

9. Titus Andronicus - Dimed Out
If you loved Dropkick Murphys, I could see you going apeshit for Titus Andronicus. Or at least I can now, as this is almost certainly the first time I've ever actually listened to this band. No thanks!

10. The War on Drugs - In Reverse
This is another band that I've never actually listened to. I'm looking at the 7:41 timestamp on this song and thinking there's no way I'm going to make it all the way through. This shit is bland. 

11. The Flying Burrito Brothers - Hot Burrito #1
Gram Parsons was so so so so great. That's all I have to say.

12. Gravediggaz - Nowhere to Run, Nowhere to Hide
If you're uninitiated, Gravediggaz was RZA's horrorcore side project. If that sentence gets you excited, congratulations, you're me in high school. 

13. Tobias Jesso, Jr. - Hollywood
At some point, you have to wonder exactly how Spotify puts these playlists together. What is it that I've listened to that would land this song on here? I'm worried that Spotify is going to start culling its Discover playlists for me from the previous week's playlist, and that's not going to end well for anyone. This shit is like whiny Randy Newman. Like, if Randy Newman was in his 20s and got dumped. That's what this is. It also sucks.

14. Jedi Mind Tricks - Hell's Messenger
A few months ago, I tried to listen to Visions of Gandhi. It has not aged well. Vinnie Paz just said, "Your guns go boom boom - my guns go pow pow." He's even bored with himself at this point. This track being under 3 minutes long is its best quality

15. Fleetwood Mac - That's All for Everyone
I should listen to Tusk. This is like a good version of all those bad modern pop songs Spotify made me listen to earlier in this playlist.

16. Pink Floyd - Pigs on the Wing (Part 2)
I only like certain Pink Floyd albums. Well, by certain, I mean all of the ones that came before Dark Side of the Moon. And even then, at this point I'm really only interested in the live version of "Set Your Controls for the Heart of the Sun" from Ummagumma. This Pink Floyd just isn't that interesting.

17. Viktor Vaughn - GMC
This whole album is great. You might have to have a real conversation about where it ranks against Doom's other albums and projects, because it's up there. I mean, I guess it's not even a big deal to say it's the third best behind MM.. Food and Madvillainy, right? 

18. Drug Church - Learning to Speak British
Good timing, as Drug Church's new album just came out/is about to come out? We all know how I feel about Patrick Kindlon and his various projects. Good band.

19. King Geedorah - Fazers
There are multiple songs on this album that say "ft. MF Doom" if you ever doubted MF Doom's commitment. I can't remember what my favourite track from this album is, but this is a good one, too.

20. Nehruviandoom - Intro
Hey how about some more MF Doom? I didn't know about this side project. I wish they would've included a song that wasn't the album intro. Now I'll might never know what this actually sounds like.

21. DJ Esco, Future - Never Gon Lose
For me, listening to Future is just participating in youth culture in a way that seems pretty inauthentic. Mostly because I don't think I enjoy his songs very much.

22. Colin Stetson - The Stars in His Head (Dark Lights Remix)
This guy is a saxophonist/multi-reedist with some fancy schmancy circular breathing technique. This song is kinda like a noise track but with saxophone instead of blown-out guitar manipulation. It's kinda harsh. I think I might be absolutely fucking into this.

23. King Louie - B.O.N.
"I don't do battle rap - tell 'em to battle that," says King Louie. That's because you would get absolutely body-bagged.

24. Shane Carruth - A Young Forest Growing Up Under Your Meadows
I've tried to watch Upstream Color multiple times on Netflix, but the volume is set so low that I can't do it. If this is what the rest of the soundtrack is like, though, maybe I'll just get really into it and never see the movie. It's like some of the softer Deaf Center songs. Love it.

25. Chromatics - I Can Never Be Myself When You're Around
This song would be good in a dark club with some lights and some alcohol and some mild drug use.

26. Susanne Sundfor - Memorial
Norway's biggest export. A big, slow, orchestral pop song that never really reaches dance tempo. I'm for the most part into this.

27. Big Sean - Paradise
I don't necessarily like Big Sean, but I think it would irresponsible of me to not put this into the weekend rotation. 

28. The Microphones - The Moon
I bet people loved this shit when it came out in the early 2000s, right? It certainly wasn't on my radar. I bet people would love this shit now, too. Of all the modern guitar pop Spotify has foisted upon me, this is easily the most interesting. But... I'm already over it.

29. Chastity Belt - Drone
I also have to imagine this being incredibly popular. I might listen to the rest of this album. I think I will.

30. The Go-Betweens - You Can't Say No Forever
Sure, why not more pop music to finish off this playlist? Australia's greatest pop band of all time, says All Music. Sure, why not.

I'm giving this playlist a generous C. Really generous. Do better next time, Spotify.

No comments:

Post a Comment