Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Johnny Five How I'm Rollin' with the Metal

Spotify Discover Weekly, pt 5!

1. If These Trees Could Talk - Breath of Life
A lot of post-rock happened that fell by the wayside. This was one of those bands.

2. Adult Mom - Survival
I just saw a write-up of this band somewhere - either they were playing in Atlanta/Athens soon or somethin'. I was only half-listening when this song came on, so I'mma have to go back and see if this isn't somethin' worth checkin' out. 

3. Battles - Yabba
It's worth noting that I got through all seven minutes of this song!

4. This Will Destroy You - New Topia
One of the post-rock bands that emphatically did not slip through the cracks, though they almost certainly spent a few years flying far too under the radar. A magnificent band.

5. Black Breath - Forest of the Damned 
From their acclaimed Sentenced to Life. Fast, heavy, gnarly as hell. A good reminder to listen to the new album that came out recently. And to listen to more Entombed.

6. St. Vincent - Prince Johnny
I'm torn on St. Vincent. I think should probably like her. I never feel compelled to listen to more St. Vincent, though. Like, I hear a St. Vincent song, and at no point does it strike me to either complain about or compel me to listen to an entire album. That's where we are.

7. Donnie Trumpet & The Social Experiment - Miracle
Somebody had me check this out earlier in the year. I didn't pay attention much while it was playing. Oh well!

8. Pianos Become the Teeth - Old Jaw
At Wrecking Ball back in August, we walked upstairs to get a beer and watch a few minutes of Pianos Become the Teeth. I really liked The Lack Long After, but I hadn't really kept up with them since that album. It's not that they changed their sound significantly, it's just that they faded back into more traditional emo than the heavier brand of screamo they were playing before. Listening to this track now, I can't wait to get really into this album. 

9. Cheatahs - Northern Exposure
The guitar work is really nice on this track. It has this fluid Dino Jr feel to it. I like this. The slightly distorted, whiny vocals over the wall of sound guitars and up-beat rhythm section. Cool song.

10. Part Time - I Want to Go
This is from 2013 apparently, but when it started, I was sure it was from the late 80s or early 90s. It's a lot like the Cure but if the Cure came after the Cure and purposely recorded their music in bedrooms with cheap equipment. 

11. Ben Frost & Daniel Bjarnason - Simulacra I
The title of this song is perfect, because this song is a representation of all of Mono's most subdued moments, especially from For My Parents. It gets a little synthier than Mono towards the end, but the whole feel is Mono. That's not a bad thing, either.

12. Amiina - Kolapot
This fits beautifully alongside later Sigur Ros. What's with Icelandic musicians and folksy, hauntingly ethereal soundscapes? This song also has a neoclassical feel with the specific instruments in use. Top notch stuff.

13. Gucci Mane, Sick Pen - Mama
BITCH I MIGHT BE

14. Alice in Chains - Whale & Wasp
Ah the interlude song from Jar of Flies. Welp, time to go back to never thinking about Alice in Chains!

15. Avey Tare - Laughing Hieroglyphic
Oh whoa! I hate this!

16. Siouxsie and the Banshees - Arabian Knights
Yes yes yes of course. This is a nice follow-up to whatever the hell that garbage was that came before it. From the classic album Juju

17. Hundred Waters - Murmurs
I just find this type of indie/pop music just totally boring and uninteresting. It has no connection to me whatsoever.

18. Hail Mary Mallon - 4AM
Had I found out Aes Rock was in a duo with Rob Sonic in 2011, I would've been somewhat stoked on that. I'm not as stoked in 2015. I will always love Aesop Rock, specifically Labor Days and the Daylight EP. I just know younger me would be way more stoked about discovering this than I am right now. It's not bad, though.

19. Tim McGraw - Grown Men Don't Cry
Um what. Can I file a formal complaint with Spotify about this?

20. Silver Mt. Zion - For Wanda
One of the most important post-rock albums of all time. I think Silver Mt. Zion should probably get more credit for being the moodiest and emotive of all the post-rock giants.

21. Crystal Castles - Deicide
I'd rather listen to a Deicide song called "Crystal Castles" than a Crystal Castles song called "Deicide"

22. Defeater - Warm Blood Rush
I liked this album when it came out, but I never spent a ton of energy on Defeater. It's weird, because it's a type of hardcore that I really like. Maybe because it felt like a lot of bands were doing exactly what Defeater was doing in the late aughts/early '10s. This song is great, though.

23. Richard Skelton - Noon Hill Wood
I've never heard this, and this is phenomenal. Neoclassical post-rock in the vein of Silver Mt. Zion and GY!BE but mostly strings. Damn. Damn.

24. Owls - Everyone is My Friend
Noodly emo! I can never say no to noodly emo.

25. Gorguts - Le Toit Du Monde
Killer track from long-time purveyors of death metal. Goooooooood stuff.

26. Ben Lukas Boysen - Only in the Dark
Minimalist soundscaping. Beautiful.

27. The Appleseed Cast - On Reflection
Classic song from a classic album. This band has never done anything bad and probably never will. Goosebumps every time I listen to this band.

28. Magrudergrind - Bridge Burner
Haven't listened to Magrudergrind in a while. DC powerviolence that does everything right. Rumour has it they might have a new album this year? Hope that's true.

29. Failure - Another-Space Song
I never got into Failure. The timing wasn't there. This album came out in 96, and while I was certainly listening to music just like it, they didn't have the exposure that a nine-year-old me would need to find this album. I get why people a few years older than me would be obsessed with this band, though. 

30. Julia Brown - Library
There's a classical composer named Julia Brown. There's also a singer-songwriter named Julia Brown. This is a Baltimore-based indie/emo band with that same name. This song has a delightful delicacy and intimacy. Love it.

No matter how much good stuff was on this playlist, I'm giving it an F for that Tim McGraw song.

No comments:

Post a Comment