Monday, November 2, 2015

The New Discovery Network

Spotify Discover Weekly Part Three let's go!

1. Frank Zappa - Inca Roads
Imagine how many drugs you'd have to do to write this song, and then imagine how many drugs you'd have to do to listen to the entire thing without getting super bored.

2. Kelela - Guns & Synths
This track was produced by Bok Bok! I don't know what that means, but it's true.

3. µ-Ziq - XT
Hell yeah look at that name got a µ instead of "mu" and "ziq" instead of "sic" you know it's lit. It's not, though. It's festy chill vibes that I'm gonna pass on.

4. David Bowie - Subterraneans 
This album is great. This song is really great. Spacey ambient weirdness

5. Doss - Softpretty
This song would've/could've been a staple at Highwire around late 2010.

6. Low - Sea
From Bowie's Low to seminal sad guys Low! I'm not sure I've ever listened to this Low album before, or maybe any Low album that wasn't Things We Lost in the Fire. Do I have to have, like, a Low discography day soon?

7. Power Trip - Hammer of Doubt
The pride of Texas. Just saw they're about to start working on their second full-length. Riffs riffs riffs riffs riffs fuckin' riiiiiiiffffffffffffs.

8. Dr. Octagon - 3000
So the last time I remember listening to Doc Oc was, like, 2011, and we were at this chick's lakehouse for a weekend, and Kanye West's MBDTF had just come out. It was late, and a few of us were hanging out on the porch drinkin' and whatever, and we started talking about that album, and I said something about how much I liked "Monster," and this scrawny munchkin made fun of me for still liking that song since it had (apaprently) been a radio single for a while. I should've slumped him for that. Later, we listened to Dr. Octagon. Great album.

9. Jeff Buckley - Vancouver
Legit question: do people care about Jeff Buckley's music that isn't "Hallelujah"? I mean, I get why they would, but do they? I bet not really. (I don't.)

10. Deniro Farrar ft. Denzel Curry - Bow Down
Hell yeah weekend playlist jammer for sure. 

11. Animal Collective - Who Could Win a Rabbit
I don't want to listen to anymore Animal Collective, Spotify. Please stop. Thank you.

12. John Tejada - Breacht
Maybe the worst song of the three playlists I've listened to thus far. Unimaginative Euro dance music that no one could possibly give a shit about.

13. Dino Jr. - SludgeFeast
J Mascis is exactly who Neil Young woul'dve been had he been born 20 years later. That's the highest compliment I could pay anybody. Wonderful song/album/band.

14. Modest Mouse - Truckers Atlas
Before they forever ruined the landscape of music by making indie music household pop music, Modest Mouse released a bunch of albums I loved. Lonesome Crowded West was definitely one fo them. It's their fault vinyl is so expensive these days, though, so fuck 'em.

15. Tycho - From Home
YouTube and Pandora tried for years to get me to listen to Tycho's Drive. I just stubbornly refused. This song is from their debut album Past is Prologue. It's airy downtempo dopeness. Next time it's sunny in Atlanta, I'mma listen to this while I walk around.

16. Beach Slang - Dirty Cigarettes
I haven't listened to the full length yet; I need to go buy it this week. I loved few things in 2014 more than two Beach Slang 7"s. They were so great at Wrecking Ball, too. Also, the singer is like in his 40s? I love everything about this band.

17. Chris Cohen - Don't Look Today
More Deerhoof side projects. I have a really hard time imagining that album ever actually resonated with people. Like, I'm sure in 2012 people liked it, but they've 100% forgotten about it by now, and with good reason.

18. RATKING - So It Goes
One of the main dudes of RATKING is named Patrick Morales. If Patrick has been living a double life as a dope NYC MC all these years, I am going to be so fucking mad at him. This shit is dope. I wish someone would've recommended this to me when it came out last year.

19. Key - Give 'Em Hell
"I luh Jesus Christ but I'm bout da give 'em Hell." That shit is flames. Gonna bounce to this banger a lot in the coming weeks.

20. Björk - Stonemilker
I had no thought about listening to Björk's new album. I am now very much thinking about listening to Björk's new album. Really splendid. The way she sings the word "juxtaposition" just made me combust.

21. Metz - Acetate
Metz and Drug Church should tour together. It legit surprises me that Metz is as popular as they are. I don't understand popular taste. This should be way off people's radar. Instead, somehow, a grungy noise rock band is popular. Whatever, you bunch of inconsistent dummies!

22. Inter Arma - The Survival Fires
Something kept me from being into Sky Burial when it came out in 2013. I have no idea what it was. I even feel like I saw them live? I dunno. This song is a cool mix of black metal and doom. Might have to revisit this album to solve this mystery. Maybe it's because this song is 25% too long.

23. Elliott Smith - Speed Trials
God, when Summer and Morty force Tiny Rick to listen to Elliott Smith to confront his feelings? What a show.

24. R.E.M. - Laughing
One time I saw R.E.M. at a hippie fest while I was on ecstasy. It was still unenjoyable. Stipe's voice is way more bearable on this early song, though.

25. Gayngs - The Last Prom on Earth
Wooooooooo this shit is sexy. But it's also kinda corny. But sometimes sexy music is corny. Sometimes ya just gotta sex that shit up sexy and deal with the consequences.

26. Ilovemakonnen and like 5 other people - Vodka on the Weekend
Definitely. Definitely.

27. Sonic Youth - Shadow of a Doubt
This shit is sooooooooooo good. Kim Gordon was on one for this track. Prolly gotta go back and listen to Evol for the first time in forever now.

28. UGK - It's Supposed to Bubble
People who don't like UGK are snakes and not to be trusted. If you ever hear a disparaging word about Pimp C and Bun B, that person is almost certainly a sociopath. Screwston, Texas all damn day.

29. Group Home - Supa Star
Super slick mid-90s hip hop. Can't believe I've never heard this before. The one dude's lisp is legendary.

30. Ghostface Killah - Wildflower
If you're the Cappadonna of your friend group, that sucks a lot. Is it crazy that Ghostface's Fishscale is the third best solo Wu album? This shit, his debut Ironman, is really great, too. Tony Starks to wrap things up.


After last week's garbage playlist, Spotify brings the heat for a solid B+. Ugly start that turned into something very consistent. 

No comments:

Post a Comment